Practical Ideas for Enjoying a Cheap Date Night Together
When you're on a tight budget, a date night with your spouse or partner might seem out of reach. But regularly working in quality one-on-one adult time is so important. It helps keep the communication open and your relationship strong. Also, it's a great way to de-stress and boost your mood.
Fortunately, it's entirely possible to have a cheap date night that's fun and romantic. You don't need to shell out for an expensive dinner at a fancy restaurant. And as long as you can find the time, there's no reason you can't make this a recurring weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly activity with your significant other.
You just need to be a little flexible and creative and check out the following ideas for having a cheap date night.
Tips for Having a Cheap Date Night
- Ask a relative, friend, or trusted neighbor to watch the kids and avoid paying for a babysitter; you can always find a free or low-cost way to pay them back, like baking them cookies or watching their kids on another occasion.
- Stay in if you can get the place to yourself; put away your phones and watch a favorite movie, do a puzzle, play a board game, cook a nice dinner together, look through old photos together, give each other massages, or find other ways to enjoy each other's company.
- Have a picnic at a local park instead of going out to a restaurant.
- Eat dinner at home or on a picnic, then just go to a restaurant for dessert.
- Dine out for lunch instead of dinner when it's usually cheaper, even at pricier restaurants.
- Head to a coffee shop for drinks, snacks, and conversation rather than springing for a full dinner.
- Volunteer somewhere together.
- Check the websites of local museums and art galleries to see if they offer free or discounted admission at particular times.
- Look for affordable concerts at smaller local live music venues.
- Visit a local historic site; admission is usually low-cost or even free at these types of attractions.
- Go for a stroll or bike ride in a scenic area near your home, take a nature hike, or walk around and explore an unfamiliar area of your city.
- Take a leisurely drive in a peaceful area and chat or listen to some favorite music.
- Check Groupon for great deals at nearby restaurants, spas, and other local businesses.
- Go bowling or play mini golf.
- Attend a sports game at a local high school or college.
- Take a class together at the public library, a community center, or a local community college.